There are two main reasons to be looking to using a mouth wash: preventing cavities or reducing inflammation to control gum disease.
Preventing Cavities : If you’re looking to decrease your chance of forming cavities, adding a mouth wash to your routine is a super easy step to take to increase your protection! The fluoride in the mouthwash will help strengthen your enamel just like the fluoride in your toothpaste, but it will be able to protect the hard to reach spots your toothbrush might miss. Here are some of the active ingredients to look for when comparing mouthwash brands:
- Stannous Fluoride: natural cavity-fighting mineral that strengthens the teeth and makes them more impervious to decay and deterioration. Stannous fluoride can cause staining, but it also acts as an antibacterial agent
- Sodium Fluoride: natural cavity-fighting mineral that strengthens the teeth and makes them more impervious to decay and deterioration.
Reducing Inflammation/Controlling Gum Disease : A mouthwash can be an excellent addition to your oral hygiene routine if you’re looking to prevent gingivitis or control gum disease. When comparing brands it’s important to look for active ingredients that are antibacterial and prevent tartar build up like the following:
- Triclosan: Antibacterial agent
- Essential oils: Antibacterial agents
- Pyrophosphates: Tartar control
It’s important that you’re looking for a mouth wash that is approved by the American Dental Association (ADA) if you’re looking to reduce inflammation (bleeding gums) and control gum disease.
If you have any questions about which mouthwash is best for you, don’t hesitate to ask!